Friday, December 4, 2009

At work on Monday there was an overuse of a cleaning chemical that if breathed in for long enough could cause respiratory poisoning and even death.

There wasn't any warning beforehand as to its use, no signs or words spoken. It was being used on the 2nd floor, where I usually worked. Since there was no warning, I breathed it in for a second and my nose started to burn, as well as my eyes. I ran to the lunchroom while covering my face. It turned out that the lunchroom was the only safe place to stay, and most of us sat there for an hour while others cleaned the chemical off.

There wasn't any serious damage, no one had to go to the hospital, no one fainted. Some felt unbalanced, their eyes were red or their lungs were burning, but it was nothing severe. I was alright but stressing out to the point where my heart started to pound and the nerves in my hands flared up. But I calmed down and studied for an exam as the chemical was being cleaned.

...So for people who might think that I'm one of those young authors who's had everything handed to them and never had to work for anything, that's not the case. I've had a lot of jobs in my life and I've had to deal with a lot of rough situations, like most other people.

This was one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment